Everyone loves a hearty, delicious chili! This recipe is meat free and loaded with a variety of vegetables and fibrous beans. It’s super quick to make or can be simmered all day in a crock pot.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth if desired
- 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can can black beans drained
- 1 can can dark red kidney beans drained
- 1 can spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne hot pepper sauce
- 1 tsp coarse salt
Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers and garlic.
Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables.
Deglaze pan with beer or broth,
add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt.
Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans.
Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Enjoy this chili by itself or try some creative options:
-Add toppings: cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, avocado, etc
-Go Cincinnati style: over pasta with chopped onion, cheese, sour cream
-Put it on a baked potato, add toppings
-Put it over "Potaffles"
-Have a dedicated carnivore in your family? Saute some ground turkey for then to add as a topping 🙂